The day will yet come which will bring to light every hidden thing


I earlier discussed the controversy surrounding Harriet Beecher Stowe's essay The True Story of Lady Byron’s Life in this post. In her article, published in the reputable magazine The Atlantic Monthly in September 1869, Stowe accused the famous English poet Lord Byron —decades after his death— of having engaged in an incestuous affair with his half-sister Augusta Leigh. The American novelist wanted to defend her friend, Lady Byron, who had died in 1860 and who Stowe felt deserved to be vindicated. Her essay resulted in a big scandal, both in Britain and America, with Stowe's reputation considerably damaged.

Two letters were included in my earlier post, i.e. one from Stowe to Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes, in which she explained her reasons for telling the story; and a letter from British author George Eliot, Stowe's friend and pen pal, offering Stowe her support (read them both here). In this post, I want to share a letter from Stowe to Lady Byron herself. 

In December 1856, after being told the whole story by Lady Byron, Stowe wrote to her, assuring her friend that her secret would not be revealed while she, Lady Byron, was still alive. (Suffering from poor health, Lady Byron had told Stowe she believed she had little time left to live.) The letter suggests that Stowe wanted to publicly expose Lord Byron right away, but then changed her mind to protect Lady Byron.
Paris, December 17, 1856.

Dear Lady Byron,

.... On that subject on which you spoke to me the last time we were together, I have thought often and deeply. I have changed my mind somewhat. Considering the peculiar circumstances of the case, I could wish that the sacred veil of silence, so bravely thrown over the past, should never be withdrawn during the time that you remain with us. I would say then, leave all with some discreet friends, who, after both have passed from earth, shall say what was due to justice. I am led to think this by seeing how low, how unworthy, the judgments of this world are; and I would not that what I so much respect, love, and revere should be placed within reach of its harpy claw, which pollutes what it touches. The day will yet come which will bring to light every hidden thing. “There is nothing covered that shall not be revealed, neither hid that shall not be known;” and so justice will not fail.

Such, my dear friend, are my thoughts; different from what they were since first I heard that strange, sad history. Meanwhile I love you forever, whether we meet again on earth or not.

Affectionately yours,

H. B. S.
Source letter: Life of Harriet Beecher Stowe Compiled from Her Letters and Journals, by Charles Edward Stowe (1889)

Image (collage): (left) Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Lady Byron ca. 1856.

0 comments