Every labour I have ever undertaken has been accepted by me for love of you




By 1516, Michelangelo Buonarroti was at the height of his fame, having already created many of his most celebrated works, including Pietà (1498–1499), David (1501–1504) and the ceiling frescos of the Sistine Chapel (1508–1512). Since he became financially successful, Michelangelo had supported his father —Lodovico di Leonardo Buonarroti Simoni— and his four brothers with large sums of money. He sent them funds, purchased property for his father and also helped his brothers with their businesses. His family duties weighed heavily on him, and he often complained about them in his letters. After buying a farm for his father several years earlier (in 1512), Michelangelo wrote for instance: "I thank God that I have at last finished with this business. Now I have only one matter to settle, and that is to set up a shop for the others [his brothers], and I think of nothing else day and night. After that I believe I shall have fulfilled all my obligations, and if there is still life left for me, I hope to live out the remainder in peace." 
  
Michelangelo's hope for a peaceful life without family issues was, of course, wishful thinking, as is evident from his letter below. It was written after Lodovico had publicly accused Michelangelo of throwing him out of the family home. Having provided for his father for decades —with their relationship often strained rather than affectionate— Michelangelo was both hurt and annoyed by the accusation. Also, he was extremely concerned that his father's unfounded claim would hurt his reputation (as it was considered a moral obligation to care for one's parents in Renaissance Italy). Nevertheless, despite his anger towards his father, Michelangelo sought to make peace with him, begging him to return to Florence.
[1516]

To Lodovico, 
at Settignano.

Dearest Father, — I marvelled greatly as to what had happened to you the other day, when I did not find you at home: and now that I hear you are complaining about me and saying that I have driven you from the house, I marvel still more, for I am quite sure that from the day I was born till now my mind has never harboured a thought, great or small, that was detrimental to you. Every labour I have ever undertaken has been accepted by me for love of you. Since I came back from Rome to Florence I have, as you know, always thought of your interests, and you know that I have bestowed all I possess upon you. It is not so many days ago that, when you were ill, I told you and promised you that I would never fail you in anything that lay in any way within my power so long as my life lasts: and now I tell it you again. I marvel that you should so soon have forgotten everything. And yet you have had thirty years experience of me, you and your sons, and you are well aware that I have ever thought and acted, when I was able, for your good. How can you go about saying I have turned you out of doors? Do you not see what a character you are giving me when you say that I have turned you out? This is all that was wanting to complete my tale of troubles: and all of them I bear for love of you! You repay me well, forsooth. But let it be as it may: I am willing to accept the position that I have brought you nothing but shame and disgrace, and I beg your forgiveness as though I had actually treated you in this manner. Forgive me as though I were a son who had always lived a wicked life and done you all the harm that could possibly be done in the world. And so once again I implore you to forgive me, like the scoundrel I am, but do not give me the reputation of having driven you from home, for that is a more important matter than you may suppose. After all, I am your son. 

This letter will be brought by Rafaello da Gagliano. I beg of you for the love of God — not for love of me — to come back to Florence, as I have to go away and there are many things of importance I wish to tell you, and I cannot come to Settignano. As I have heard certain things which displease me about Pietro [d'Urbano, of Pistoia], who works for me — I heard them from his own lips — I am sending him back to Pistoia this morning. He will never come back where I am, for I do not wish our family to be ruined on his account. Ye were all aware that I was ignorant of his goings on, and ye ought long ago to have informed me, then this scandal would never have arisen. (*)

I am being entreated to hurry away from here, but I do not mean to go until I have spoken with you and can leave you in the house here. I beg of you to lay aside all passion and come.

Your Michelagniolo,

in Florence.
Note:
Editor Robert Carden added a note to the letter: "(*) If Milanesi is correct in ascribing this letter to the year 1516, Michelangelo evidently changed his mind with regard to Pietro d'Urbano [his assistant], as we find him later on not only in the artist's service, but treated with the utmost confidence." Relying on Gaetano Milanesi's dates, Carden placed the letter in 1516. I saw two modern sources, however, who place it in 1521, although I'm not sure why they date it later (possibly due to the Pietro d'Urbano reference). 

Source letter: Michelangelo: a Record of His Life as Told in His Own Letters and Papers (1913), edited and translated by Robert W. Carden

Image: Portrait of Michelangelo Buonarroti, drawing by Daniele da Volterra (between ca. 1548 and ca. 1553)

0 comments